:: Re: [DNG] Purpose of an OS: was net…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: karl
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Purpose of an OS: was network device naming (was: What can I do after netman?)
Steve:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 00:08:58 +0200 (CEST)
> karl@??? wrote:
> > Hendrik:
> > > That would be a reasonable base requirement.
> > What if I have say 5 disks /dev/sd[a-e]; if someone accidentally
> > pulled out /dev/sdc, and oops put it back before anyone noticed;
> > should it show up again as /dev/sdc or should it be /dev/sdf ?
> This is why you use UUID= or LABEL= in /etc/fstab.

Let's face it, thoose other names of the device is just symlinks, do a
find /dev/disk/ | xargs ls -ld and you will find only dirs. and
softlinks. But if the disk is mounted we are past that stage.

So that will only help you when the partition is to be mounted or when
you want to unmount it, after all, fstab and /dev/-names are just
for the user space. The kernel mostly only cares about the maj/min
numbers, or am I wrong?

What happens when you unplug your root fs, wait a few seconds till
the kernel gives up and then plug it in again ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148