:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC: was s6-rc, a s6-b…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rainer Weikusat
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] OpenRC: was s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems
Timo Buhrmester <fstd.lkml@???> writes:
>> OpenRC? I just don't get it.

[...]

>> It can't respawn
> Probably because people don't want this behavior. Auto-respawn only
> makes sense when you're "relying" on buggy software you already expect
> to blow up, *and* are unwilling to debug it.

I expect that all software I'm "relying" on is buggy and will blow up,
given enough opportunities to do so. I'm also extremely unwilling to
debug a problem which caused a VPN outage in Texas at 18:00 local time
in real time as that's midnight UK time, especially if I already
worked a complete work day before this time. And there are a few
thousand impatient people who are unwilling (and very much so) to be
without internet access until the problem was debugged and fixed.
Lastly, the people who employ are very unwilling to let me debug
anything unless they consider it important ...