:: [DNG] OpenRC: was s6-rc, a s6-based…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Oude Onderwerpen: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems
Onderwerp: [DNG] OpenRC: was s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 16:05:22 -0400 (EDT)
Rob Owens <rowens@???> wrote:

> This system is supposed to mount several NFS shares
> on boot, but it always fails -- even when using openrc (which is
> dependency-based) on Funtoo.

Am I the only person who doesn't like OpenRC? It can't respawn
(supervise, whatever you call it). Its init scripts are every bit as
complicated as those of sysvinit, but must be written in a special
language that's confusingly almost but not quite /bin/sh. To be
complete, therefore, it must spawn daemontools-encore or s6 to
supervise things like dhcpd and wpa_supplicant.

I agree that OpenRC is better than world-dominator systemd and Upstart,
but I'd choose sysvinit over it. And I'd *certainly* choose Epoch or
any of the daemontools inspired inits (or even Suckless Init +
daemontools-encore + LittKit) over it.

OpenRC? I just don't get it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust