:: [DNG] netman: support for wlan1, wl…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Edward Bartolo
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: [DNG] netman: support for wlan1, wlan2, ... and eth1, eth2, .... and new systemd's naming scheme
Hi All,

My next coding will be to add support for network interfaces other
than wlan0 and eth0. Regarding this, I would like to have your ideas
about how should I go not to minimally disrupt the already existing C
code that is already working.

My present idea is this:
a) To connect to a wifi the backend command is:
backend 4 essid-file

essid-file is an interfaces file that contains the network device
name. So, in the new implementation of the function that connects to
wifi, I will first extract the network device name and use it in the
call of ifup. This avoids having to change the backend command form.

b) To create a new essid file, an additional parameter would be passed
to hold the network device name to be used.

c) In the Edit/New dialog box, the network devices on the system will
be listed for the user to choose from. Additional information about
available wifi sources will also be displayed. The latter will include
whether encryption is used and what type, signal strength, essid.

Obviously, the Edit/New dialog box will be redesigned. I can also
create custom drawn list boxes but these require graphics like images
and result in bloating netman with no additional functionality apart
from a more pleasing appearance.

Edward