:: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-ba…
Góra strony
Autor: Didier Kryn
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems
Le 24/09/2015 19:54, KatolaZ a écrit :
> But let's be honest here: how many times does it happen that you have
> to reboot a production server nowadays? It is quite rare that a
> failing program actually needs a reboot, right? And even when it
> happens, 1 minute or 5 minutes boot won't change your overall uptime
> percentage that much. If you are at 99.999% with a 1 minute boot
> (which corresponds to one reboot every 2 months and a half, already
> ways too much for the vast majority of production servers) with an
> exagerated 5 minutes boot you will move to 99.995%.

     Dear Katolaz,

     I'm sory but you only think "server". I think this dpendency-base
startup and supervision is primarily dedicated to laptops, although
there must be other cases needing ultra-fast boots. Linux is not
dedicated only to big server farms.

     I agree with Rainer that services should be able to handle failures
gently; I have defended this position on this list in another thread
already. However ultra-fast start-up is something I definitely want on
my laptop. It is usefull in everyday usage, and it is a must in cases
when software development needs frequent reboot.

     I may not install s6-rc on servers, although I don't know why; but
I will certainly install it on laptops and desktops.

     Didier