:: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-b…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: KatolaZ
A: Didier Kryn
Cc: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:06:50AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 24/09/2015 19:54, KatolaZ a écrit :
> >But let's be honest here: how many times does it happen that you have
> >to reboot a production server nowadays? It is quite rare that a
> >failing program actually needs a reboot, right? And even when it
> >happens, 1 minute or 5 minutes boot won't change your overall uptime
> >percentage that much. If you are at 99.999% with a 1 minute boot
> >(which corresponds to one reboot every 2 months and a half, already
> >ways too much for the vast majority of production servers) with an
> >exagerated 5 minutes boot you will move to 99.995%.
>
>     Dear Katolaz,

>     I'm sory but you only think "server". I think this
> dpendency-base startup and supervision is primarily dedicated to
> laptops, although there must be other cases needing ultra-fast
> boots. Linux is not dedicated only to big server farms.

Dear Didier,

I actually had the impression that servers was what Laurent was
referring to... :)

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Your clarification confirms my doubts: this
quest for "speed" could make sense mainly for mobile devices (I
personally reboot my laptop every 3/4 months, on average, and only
because I forget to plug the AC adapter overnight, so I still can't
see the issue for laptops), and I could agree on that, but please do
not bring servers and high availability scenario to support "smart"
dependency-based boots, since, as strange as it might sound, high
availability has nothing to do with boot speed, at all.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]