:: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-b…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems
On Thu, 24 Sep 2015 14:31:40 +0100
Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> Laurent Bercot <ska-devel@???> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > It manages dependencies between services, no matter whether they are
> > oneshots or longruns; it can intertwine oneshot starts and longrun
> > starts, or oneshot stops and longrun stops. When changing the
> > machine state, it always ensures the consistency of the dependency
> > graph.
>
> I'd still very much like to see an actual example which really needs
> these depenencies which isn't either bogus or a workaround for a bug
> in the software being managed.

I can't see why any init/processmanager would *not* allow intermixing.
To me, this "do all oneshots before your first longrun" meme was
created because people couldn't figure out how to intermix, not because
there's some problem-domain reason it couldn't/wouldn't happen.

I'm working with Void Linux (inits with runit) right now, and love
runit, but being expected to put my one-shots in /etc/runit/1 or
early /etc/runit/2 instead of making a service directory for the
one-shot just seems bogus to me. From what I understand, s6-rc gets rid
of this dichotomy, which I consider artificial and created only for
expediency.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust