:: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-b…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jaromil
Aan: KatolaZ
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems

congrats to the on-time release Laurent!

dear Katolaz and others

On Thu, 24 Sep 2015, KatolaZ wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 07:20:25PM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:
> > On 24/09/2015 17:51, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> > >If it starts working within less than five minutes, users will
> > >forget about it faster than they could complain, especially for a
> > >system which is usually supposed to be running. But that's actually
> > >a digression.
> >
> > Five minutes? And you think it's acceptable? Sorry, I don't have
> > five minutes to waste every time a program fails. Also, this is
> > 2015: if a program isn't responsive within 30 seconds, users will
> > come knocking at your door raging - and they will be right.
>
> But let's be honest here: how many times does it happen that you have
> to reboot a production server nowadays?

I think you are overlooking the vastity of use-cases here and I agree
with Laurent for a 5 minutes down you can have users raging at the door.

for instance I can well imagine we may end up using s6-rc for
http://dowse.equipment which isn't a server, but a home network
appliance that filters a lot of traffic (adblocking and such), caches
and tunnels DNS queries etc.

Now if any of the daemons running on Dowse go down then the "Internet is
broken" for any inhabitant on that LAN and that is the moment in which
you get any other member of the household to knock the sysadmin's door -
reaction times are below 1m in my experience.

Dowse has the usecase addressed also regarding the long-shot and one-run
services and the minimalism of s6-rc appeals me a lot for reasons you
have also mentioned, I expect it to be well performant on Devuan running
on embedded systems.

ciao