:: Re: [DNG] vdev status update: event…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jude Nelson
Aan: shraptor
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] vdev status update: eventfs
Hi shraptor,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM, shraptor <shraptor@???> wrote:

> On 2015-09-23 17:14, Jude Nelson wrote:
>
>> @shraptor
>>
>>> So how to get eventfs going with vdev.
>>> ./eventfs /run/udev
>>> or where should eventfs be mounted?
>>> Eventfs mounting will not be handled by vdev, right?
>>>

>> Vdev won't set up eventfs. I'll ship a sysv init script with it that
>> will mount it automatically (probably shortly after init starts, since
>> libudev-compat programs will need it relatively early in the boot
>> process).
>>

> Is it a hard dependency on eventfs?

Vdev does not need eventfs. Libudev-compat benefits from using it, but
does not need it for correct operation. It's a soft dependency.

Or will some functionality work without eventfs?

Yes--it will remain possible to use libudev-compat without eventfs.

> Is it the same data as was made availible in /run/udev before??

No, eventfs will handle the contents of /dev/metadata/udev/events and
/dev/events. If you look in /dev/metadata/udev/events, you'll see that
libudev-compat processes will have created a bunch of directories
there--one for each struct udev_monitor--into which vdev's udev-compat.sh
helper writes device events. Currently, there is no straightforward and
automatic way to clean this directory out, but doing so is nevertheless
necessary since the directories for a process's struct udev_monitor
instances will persist after the process dies (I've written a script to
clean the dead directories out periodically, but it's not perfect). By
having libudev-compat clients write to eventfs, we can ensure that these
directories are automatically removed after the process that created them
dies.

-Jude