:: Re: [DNG] Doing away with multi-thr…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Edward Bartolo
Aan: Rainer Weikusat
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Doing away with multi-threading in my project (netman)
Quote: <<An 'orphaned process' is one whose parent has exited after creating a
process (that's done via fork and not via execve) and it's not adopted
by the grand parent but by init.>>

So what is the difference between an "orphaned process", i.e. a
process whose parent has exited after giving birth to a child process
and one which replaces the original process effectively giving its
parent a death sentence?

Sorry, but it looks there is only a very subtle difference between the
two. The only difference I see, is that, since in the case of execl,
the parent effectively is replaced, i.e. dies, it is also awarded its
parent PID. This is not the case when a parent process creates a child
process and exits immediately, as the child will have a different PID.