:: Re: [DNG] Doing away with multi-thr…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Rainer Weikusat
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Doing away with multi-threading in my project (netman)
Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> writes:

[...]

> Using "ps xao pid,ppid,comm", I found what I described to you:
> precisely, that orphaned processes were adopted by the GUI frontend.

There are no 'orphaned processes' in this case because execl does not
create a new process. It runs a new program in the same process and
since the parent of this process was the frontend process before the
execl, it's still the parent of this process afterwards.

An 'orphaned process' is one whose parent has exited after creating a
process (that's done via fork and not via execve) and it's not adopted
by the grand parent but by init.