:: Re: [DNG] Doing away with multi-thr…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: KatolaZ
To: Edward Bartolo
CC: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Doing away with multi-threading in my project (netman)
On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 06:24:51PM +0100, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> I found that the created zombies are owned by root and the frontend
> does not run with root privileges. I think, this may be the reason.
>
> The reason why zombies are created is that we are effectively
> replacing backend by what execl calls. We may be able to solve the
> issue by allowing the backend to continue running when execl is used
> and at the end call wait() if that is possible.

Sorry guys, I didn't get through the whole thread, but I wanted to say
just one obvious thing: if your program works correctly, then it is
*very* difficult (if not impossible) to create and leave zombies
around. If the program that fork()s does call wait() properly, no
zombies can remain anywhere. A zombie is just a process which has died
and is waiting there for its parent to call the damn wait().

If your code leaves zombies, then it is not working properly, and you
should fix it before moving on.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]