:: Re: [DNG] NVidia driver howto?
Top Pagina
Auteur: Hendrik Boom
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] NVidia driver howto?
On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 08:41:17AM -0500, hal wrote:
> On September 3, 2015 7:43:01 AM CDT, Go Linux <golinux@???> wrote:
> ::
> :: Doesn't sgfxi automate all that? Last time I had to install an
> :: nVidia driver, it worked like a charm. Not quite sure of its current
> :: status though as it's been a while . . .
> ::
>
> Hrm..not sure what sgfxi is. Google seems to suggest it's a debian thing, but I've never used it. The way I installed the nvidia driver on Devuan was the old-school method of downloading NVidia's shell script and running it as root to build the module. There is a lot of back-end work the script does to try and make things work correctly but it's always a matter of hope and luck when installing things that way.

I seem to remember that at one time debian had packaged the proprietary
nvidia driver that, in the postinstall stage, ran a script that just
followed nvidia's instructions for downloading and installing.

But nvidia didn't keep up with kernel changes consistently, so sometimes
it worked and sometimes it didn't, exactly as nvidia's drivers did and
didn't.

-- hendrik