:: Re: [DNG] The show goes on: “su” c…
Página Principal
Autor: tilt!
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] The show goes on: “su” command replacement merged into systemd on Fedora Rawhide
Hi,

On 08/31/2015 08:56 PM, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> [...]
> And yes, any init system that needs hacks like the one tilt! is
> doing for his display manager is a lesser one.

This is an outrage! I don't do "hacks", i perform highly qualified
high-tech science development for the sake of future generations!1

Seriously, what's all the excitement about.

The additional test i wrote for "nodm" works well, but i won't
submit the patch yet, because i've been talking to the BSD folks,
and they require yet a different type of test (which is actually
very straightforward: "check for a nologin file"). I want to
complete the test in that regard before submitting it. Isn't the
BSD solution the punchiest of all? No runlevels, no services, no
signalling fireworks, on-point semantics: "shutdown sets nologin,
so nodm should not log in. The end."

I have made a couple of interesting experiences when writing
"jack-autostart". So far there's been no IPC problem i couldn't
manage using signals, but when doing so, i found a little bug in
"jackd" when it comes to shutting down a device driver due to a
hotplug removal event. So, in this particular instance, it
wasn't an init system or operating system that caused me trouble,
but a small bug in one of the involved component programs, that,
if everything goes well, i will even be able to fix.

I think that's how it works - as soon as one seriously is using
a system, one finds bugs and tries to get them eliminated.
That's how stuff improves. Hopefully.

Anyway, i see no need to bash each other's heads in like this.

Kind regards,
T.