:: Re: [DNG] wpa_supplicant/ifup integ…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] wpa_supplicant/ifup integration documentation
Sorry, this thread became private my my mis-clicking on Icedove.

Le 30/08/2015 22:37, Isaac Dunham a écrit :
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 12:58:59PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>>> wpa_config is supposed to be that curses version, though I'm sure it's
>>> a long way off.
>>      As far as I understand, wpa_config is part of wpanet, which was
>> developped for use with Busybox. But it is has not been merged into Busybox.
>> Where can it be found?
> github.com/idunham/wpanet

> It's a set of scripts, so it wouldn't be suitable for incorporating *in*
> Busybox.
>
> Other than busybox and wpa_supplicant, it requires "dialog" (which
> uses ncurses).
>
>>> I could make something similar to wpa_config but using wpa_cli more
>>> rather than writing a config file; *however*, this would be harder to
>>> edit and would lose comments if you make the changes permanent.
>>      wpa_gui works by interaction with wpa_supplicant, through the control
>> socket, I guess, and the changes can be made permanent.
>> Actually I am perfectly happy with wpa_gui; it is just perfect; I don't need
>> anything else on my laptop. But some people consider that Qt is too big, and
>> I agree that a lighter version with the same functionality is always a
>> progress. Also a version working without X windows, but still GUI-like (ie
>> ncurses), could be usefull.
> wpa_gui works through the control socket, as does wpa_cli.

> If you "make the changes permanent", you send a command over the control
> socket that writes out the in-memory config.
> Comments are not part of that in-memory config, so you will lose them.
>
> dialog is an ncurses-based tool for the "GUI-like" interface you mentioned.

     So the only thing which this UI would miss is that it couldn't put
comments in the config file. I agree that most ESSIDs have no meaning
and therefore motivate a description. This is a minor problem which no
UI currently addresses. I don't think a comment is the proper method to
do that. Comments are meant for humans who read the file, not for use by
applications. What is missing is a formal field which could be called
'description' and should be managed by wpa_supplicant.

     To summarize, I see three possibilities

     1) hack wpa_supplicant.conf from the UI to put a specially
formatted comment. Very bad for the reason explained above and because
it needs root permission and incurs race conditions with wpa_supplicant
itself.
     2) put the load on the user: let him choose or ask for sensible ESSIDs.
     3) patch wpa_supplicant so that it accepts and stores a description
phrase for every ESSID.

     Things could be staged: 2, then 3. And 3 might be just a request to
the author of wpa_supplicant. What do you think?

     Didier