:: Re: [DNG] The show goes on: “su” c…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Laurent Bercot
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] The show goes on: “su” command replacement merged into systemd on Fedora Rawhide
On 30/08/2015 20:54, Steve Litt wrote:
>> http://www.ibuildthecloud.com/blog/2014/12/03/is-docker-fundamentally-flawed
> Very nice!

Note that the article is about the containers' *host*.
When people talk about "making systemd work with containers",
they're usually meaning running systemd *in* the containers,
i.e. they're talking about the containers' *guests*.

Guests are the interesting case, because they're the
production images, and that's what people want to make as
smooth-sailing, and (if possible) small, as possible. That's
what we focused on with the s6-overlay project, for instance.

I had, naively, never thought that running the Docker
daemon under a systemd host would be problematic. It's just a
daemon, and systemd can run them, right ? Ha, ha, it would be
too simple.
The article stupefied me: because the Docker daemon does not
conform to systemd's model, it is "fundamentally flawed" ?
And they have the balls to ask docker to change models,
because *only* systemd is supposed to handle cgroups ?

They never wonder whether the problem wouldn't, by chance,
come from systemd, that insists on being a global registry
of everything on the host and on controlling everything,
not allowing daemons to do their own thing. No, systemd is
perfect, and the problem obviously comes from Docker.

The nerve, hubris and total lack of shame of these people is
baffling. And what's even more mind-boggling is that a large
part of the community welcomes that attitude with open arms.

--
Laurent