:: Re: [DNG] netman GIT project
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] netman GIT project
On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 08:14:39 +0100
Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:

> I don't think it is necessary to daemonise the backend as connection
> to and disconnecting from a network is not something that is done
> continuously.

Unless you're walking down the street in the business district, with
wifi stations fading in and out.

> Therefore, in my humble opinion, running the backend on
> request seems to be the best approach. This also avoids additional
> complexity of requiring a dedicated init script.

I keep forgetting that not everybody runs daemontools or its
descendents, where "init scripts" are about 6 lines long and there's no
need for the author of the daemon to make his program go into the
background.

In other words, I keep forgetting that in sysvinit, systemd, OpenRC and
the like, daemons have a substantial cost.

Anyway, let me ask you this question: If I were to run the back end on
a terminal somewhere, would the front end cooperate with it and leave
it running between front end actions?

I think I'll order a wifi dongle so I can start testing your program.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust