:: Re: [DNG] replacing kernel 3.16.0-4
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Riccardo Boninsegna
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] replacing kernel 3.16.0-4
On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 5:48 PM, Haines Brown <haines@???> wrote:
> So I'd like to use a different kernel, but there are no alternatives in
> the devuan repository. How then should I install an alternative kernel?

You can compile one yourself:
→ Install the build tools ("build-essential" + "libncurses5-dev")
→ Download kernel from kernel.org or add a source for testing/unstable
and apt-get install linux-source
→ Extract source archive
→ Copy /boot/config-* to ".config" in root of extracted source
→ `make menuconfig` and change stuff if you want
→ `make deb-pkg`, go buy a pizza, return home, install debs from
parent folder :)

But I also think you can directly use a kernel (linux-image-*) from a
newer version of Debian/Devuan... not 100% sure about this though.

> Some time ago I tried to install devuan testing and it failed right away
> for reasons I forget. Is the testing installation option actually working?

I used it with no problems (from a homemade installer image, but using
our official kernel and ramdisk) about 3 weeks ago. Better do an
expert install and select nothing at the "select and install software"
step, as relativaly often a package download fails for random causes
(plus you can easily keep an eye on systemd -installed by default-,
pulseaudio, etc... if you use the aptitude interactive UI)!