:: [DNG] howto wifi roaming [was Re: S…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Oude Onderwerpen: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
Onderwerp: [DNG] howto wifi roaming [was Re: Systemd Shims]
Le 19/08/2015 01:37, Isaac Dunham a écrit :
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 02:19:20PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 18/08/2015 12:49, Edward Bartolo a écrit :
>>> At the moment I am stuck trying to use sudo to run ifup from within my
>>> frontend.
>>      Just in case, here are a few things I know about wpa_supplicant:

>>       wpa_supplicant does ifups automatically when it connects to a wifi
>> station. If an interface name is not specified in wpa_supplicant.conf, in
>> the proper section of this station, it ifups the interface named "default".

>>      Therefore you shouldn't ifup yourself. You only need to fill the
>> configuration files, wpa_supplicant.conf, via the control socket and
>> interfaces by some method probably involving sudo.
> I've not been able to figure out what that would look like.
> Could you give a sample wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/network/interfaces?

> Assume the following configuration:
> network 1: (WPA)
>     SSID = "home"
>     pass = "topsecret"
>     ip = 192.168.1.100
>     router = 192.168.1.0
>     nameserver = 8.8.8.8

> network 2: (open, DHCP)
>     SSID = "public"

> This is what I know would go in wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=net
> network={
>     ssid="home"
>     #psk="topsecret"
>     psk=c406ef685867ff2dca906a4992ab997d6ebd5c747451113c0c0ead704d859010
> }
> network={
>     ssid="public"
>     key_mgmt=NONE
> }

     You add the following line to your home config in wpa_supplicant.conf:
     id_str="foo"

     and you put the following in interfaces:
----------------------------------
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
         wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

iface foo inet static
        address      192.168.1.100
        netmask      255.255.255.0
        network      192.168.1.0
        broadcast    192.168.1.255
        gateway      192.168.1.0

iface default inet dhcp
-----------------------------------

With id_str, you can assign an interface name to every wifi station in
wpa_supplicant.conf
and declare in interfaces how you want it configured. id_str defaults to
"default"

     Attached are my two files. I have masked the passwords in
wpa_supplicant.conf.I tried
to use a static address with the wifi in a hotel where dhcp wasn't
working; I don't use
it anymore but there is the relic in wpa_supplicant.conf.

     For the file interfaces,I don't know how the instruction wpa-roam
is executed, since
there isno file with this name in the system. I can only guess it is
interpreted by
ifup/ifdown.Note the last line; it tells ifup that the default interface
name used
by wpa_supplicant must be configured by dhcp.

     The only 3 package I have installed to manage the network are
ifplugd, wpa_supplicant
and wpagui. I use the last only to enable a new wifi station or to
disconnect/reconnect when
there is a problem. The rest of the time, wpa_supplicant does everything
automagically.

     For the whole explanation, have a look at this howto:

http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-wifi-roaming-with-wpa-supplicant/

     Didier

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

## Static configuration at APC
#iface eth0 inet static
#       address      134.158.186.218
#       netmask      255.255.252.0
#       network      134.158.184.0
#       broadcast    134.158.187.255
#       gateway      134.158.184.1

## Static configuration for local network
#iface eth0 inet static
#       address      192.168.1.1
#       netmask      255.255.254.0
#       network      192.168.0.0
#       broadcast    192.168.1.255
#       gateway      192.168.0.1

# Wifi interface:
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
    wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

# Default name given by wpa_supplicant for wlan0:
iface default inet dhcp
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=1

network={