:: [DNG] Linux-related critique
Pàgina inicial
Autor: DStoicheff
A: dng
Assumpte: [DNG] Linux-related critique
I am positive this post will raise the blood pressure
of some, but it is long overdue for the Linux community
to take an honest look in its respective mirrors.

1) I continue to see online posts about the value of open source
software, cooperation, the good of mankind, blah, blah, without
having to pay Apple or Microsoft, both of which have a broken, and
laughably out-of-date, out-of-touch relationship with their users slash
customers.

The new head nerd at Mr.Softy proclaimed Ballmer's Billion Dollar Blunder,
i.e., Nokia Windows phone, officially over.

Not two weeks go by, but Mr. Soft sez, yes we will keep the phone. Huh?

Open-Source Complaint Number One:

Do not publish a website about linux, et al, and then at the very bottom,
you see the wolf's real face (he has two).Just before you click away, they
say, oh, by the way, since I am a Linux guru slash genius, I expect
the reader, to cough up MONEY for Linux slash conman to go on expensive
conferences, webinars, yadda, yadda. Bull! Not happening.

LINUX - the dinosaur in the room.Major problems here. Linux, cloned from
the U.S. govt., AT&T, etc. is a mess! Stop reinventing the wheel.

Linux distros are mostly still in the Stone Age. Yes some open-source
programs actually work, and do not require four years of college, and a
degree in mathematics to use in one sitting. Libre Open Office comes to
mind. Simple, yet elegant. Not interested in controlling a Camaro remotely,
I expect the software to perform as intended when released to users.

Has anyone ever heard of macros? Plain english? Lose this UNIX verbiage.
Silly and outdated. If I wish to PRINT a document, I say print, not lpr.

Basically, the evil stepchild of UNIX has promise, but until he steps back,
collectively,
and sees the obvious basic improvements that are within reach, it will
never be
all that it could be.

Clunky, nerdy Linux must step into the future and forget the arcane and
streamline its appearance. Intuitive? No way.

I am of a certain age to have a working knowledge of IBM 360, punched card
accounting
machines, paper tape (five holes ),COBOL and BAL programming languages,
computer rooms
full of magnetic tape drives, disk storage units the size of a dishwasher,
OCR, IBM Selectric typewriters,
and of course, teletype machines. Most readers of this post know not of
which I speak; too
young, no doubt. Worked halfway around the world, in a secure site during
the VietNam war-era.
Traveled downtown Tokyo by train. Great time. Was there after 1964
Olympics. Cary Grant made a movie
there, Walk Don't Run.

Majority of those who will view this posting have never worn their
country's uniform, which is sad, but true.

Linux works, but it could be so much more, if the cave-dwellers would only
come outside into the light.

I was alive during the period of     MUSIC, which is no longer with us.
Today there is functonal illiterates
in baseball caps and half-naked teens, neither of which can sing, offer a
melody or play an instrument.

Society moves backwards at the speed of light. Is the Manchurian Candidate
among us?

You are born..........you live your life...........they throw dirt on your
coffin and the mourners go to Starbucks

Flame all you want. Sticks and stones.

Central Pennsylvania, home of the Seven Mountains, Horseshoe Curve and
railway wheels

Faves:
Chicago Bears
Oakland A's
Mac OS X
Windows
Linux
Dell computers
Canon cameras
George Halas
Ed Brown
Gale Sayers
Dick Butkus
Dan Hampton
Chuck Bednarik
Norm Van Brocklin
Ramsey Lewis
Johnny Rivers
Buck Owens
Bobby Layne
George Blanda
Doug Atkins
Roger Maris
Ned Garver
Bob Cerv
Cliff Hagan
Bob Pettit
Jerry West
Jerry Bailey
Arcangues, Breeder's Cup, $269.20 to win
Stage Door Johnny
Dr. Fager
Secretariat