:: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 07:37:16 +0300
Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@???> wrote:

> >> I would be interested in
> >>
> >> * No-dbus replacement for NetworkManager/Wicd
> >>
> >> Are you thinking a C program?
> >
> > HECK no! There's no requirement for this program to be fast, and I
> > want to make it easy on myself. Python probably, with the minimum
> > Python addons, and only addons that ship with Python itself.
> >
> > If people really hate the Python dependency (I thought almost
> > everyone installs Python anyway), perhaps I could make it out of
> > shellscripts, awk and the like.
>
> I too am interested in a no-dbus replacement for NetworkManager/Wicd
>
> I also like the idea of a shell script, it would make it more
> accessible to more people, but only if it is feasible. A thing
> should be as simple as possible but no simpler. So if it needs perl
> or python then so be it, it would not be the first tool with such a
> dependency. But my preference would be shell.
>
> Regards,
> /Lars

You might be in luck, if a few more people jump in. One person emailed
me offlist with code to do this, either we could all start using his
code, or I could use his code as a starting point.

The toughest part is how to store the passwords in a way that isn't a
security problem. But then again, with NetworkManager, as I remember,
you can click "clear text" and see the passwords :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust