:: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:49:17 -0700
Go Linux <golinux@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 8/14/15, T.J. Duchene <t.j.duchene@???> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
> To: dng@???
> Date: Friday, August 14, 2015, 2:47 PM
>
> > I know not everyone here agrees with me, especially Steve, and
> > that's perfectly okay. I have no problem with that at all. I just
> > don't see "System 5 pure" as realistic when planning ahead looking
> > at a maintenance standpoint when Debuan upstream is more and more
> > likely to stick with Systemd in designing their packaging.
> >

> Maybe we should just put Steve in charge of decontaminating all
> packages with systemd deps!

Oh, you wouldn't want to do that. Contrary to what I wrote in another
thread about "the perfect is the enemy of the good", if *I* were in
charge of decontamination, I'd throw out whole subsystems. Gnome gone.
KDE gone. Xfce gone. Networkmanager gone. Gimp gone if it gets all
systemd on us.

In the massive time I save as not being the bomb squad defusing Red
Hat's terrorism, I'd write small replacements for a lot of things that
use only Linux and a very rudimentary and optional GUI interface.

Then I'd write documentation explaining how to use a sharp thinking
computer, to the proud ignorants of the world, especially those who
believe their ignorance is a badge of honor proving their age or
gender.

And the people who prioritize pretty over functional and robust: I'd
tell them to get a Mac.

You don't want me in that capacity.

And yes, I *am* a hypocrit who takes one position in one thread, and
then says he'd do the opposite in another. :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust