:: Re: [DNG] Devuan and upstream
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Didier Kryn
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Devuan and upstream
Le 14/08/2015 10:16, Noel Torres a écrit :

> Everyone that has anytime been trapped in the Dependency Hell knows
> about the complicated chains of dependencies in Debian. As a simple
> example, today it is impossible to install LibreOffice 5 and KDE
> together, since libreoffice 1:5.0.1~rc1-2 ends depending on libstdc++6
> 5.2.1-15 while kde-full 5:81 end depending on libkolabxml1 1.1.0-3
> (the highest version available), but libstdc++6 Breaks libkolabxml1 <=
> 1.1.0-3

     Seems to me there's something weird, both, in libreoffice depending
on just one single version of libstdc++, and in libklabxml being broken
by this version of libstdc++, be it the fault of kde or libstdc++
developpers.

     The dependency chains might be shortened by linking at least part
of the libraries statically. All this dependency buysiness mostly comes
from the abuse of dynamic linking. The only real advantage of dynamic
linking is faster upgrade in a distribution, but it often turns out to
make it just impossible.

     As a simple rule, I don't understand why Debian accepts a package
which depends on just one version of libstdc++, therefore de facto
preventing any upgrade. To be accepted, this package should be linked
against a static version of libstdc++6, hence dropping the dependency.
But, Ok, it's Debian's buziness for now.

     Didier