:: Re: [DNG] Alpha2 without desktop en…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Nouveaux-sujets: Re: [DNG] Alpha2 without desktop environment
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Alpha2 without desktop environment Reply-To:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 13:01:14 -0400
Haines Brown <haines@???>, "To:dng"@???,
"Cc:Bcc:"@??? wrote:

> What is this environment (it has a chartreuse background), and how do
> I get rid of it? How do I get rid of the gui login (xdm, gdm, kdm etc
> not installed) so that I can run the machine from console without X
> system?

Hi Haines,

You can find out what Display Manager you're running by doing this:

ps axjf | less

The display manager runs the windowmanager/desktopenvironment, which
runs a bunch of other stuff. Once you find the name of the display
manager, I would think you could simply apt-get remove it.

If that doesn't work, you can always sabotage it by renaming it or
something. I do that all the time.

By the way, before you uninstall or sabotage the display manager, make
sure your init system gives you adequate ttys. Assuming you're using
sysvinit, this is done in /etc/inittab, toward the end.

Once you're safely booting to CLI on a virtual terminal, you can create
or edit ~/.xinitrc to declare your window manager starter program. For
instance, here's mine:

#exec /home/slitt/dwm-6.0/dwm
#exec /usr/bin/startlxde &
#exec /usr/bin/lxpanel
xrandr --output default --mode 1920x1080
exec /usr/bin/openbox-session
#exec /usr/bin/xfce4-session
#exec /usr/bin/fvwm

As you can see, from time to time I change my windowmanager.

That xrandr is a workaround to an exotic Debian Wheezy video problem,
and you can safely ignore it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust