:: Re: [DNG] Devuan compared to AntiX
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Rob Owens
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Devuan compared to AntiX
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steve Litt" <slitt@???>
> Rob is right about the difficulty of installing Funtoo. As a matter of
> fact, I'd say he's understated it.
>
> I'd go so far as to say Funtoo is only for technically proficient
> people, and unlike *buntu, Debian, Devuan, OpenSuSE and Manjaro
> (systemd or OpenRC), cannot be used by the guy whose entire
> relationship with a computer is running programs. In my opinion, Funtoo
> installation requires a soul-deep understanding of the concept of
> chroot installation and configuration: Not only the Hows, but the Whys.
>
> Funtoo's for a guy like me, not a guy like the typical *buntu user.
>
> If you choose to install Funtoo, I'd *very* highly recommend you do it
> two or three times on a Qemu virtual machine, because it goes fairly
> quickly (8 hours) there. On metal it might take a day or a weekend,
> depending on the metal. Make sure the VM has at least 28GB of disk
> space, you need 14 just for kernel compilation alone.

Steve, you no longer have to compile the kernel to install Funtoo. That
removes quite a bit of the disk space and time requirements to install.
But you are correct, it is not for beginners and it requires familiarity
with (or willingness to learn) advanced concepts.

However, using it is easy. So if the OP's friends would be relying on
him to install the OS and take care of upgrades, then only the OP needs
to put in the extra work -- not his friends.

-Rob