:: Re: [DNG] Packaging
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Daniel Reurich
Dátum:
Címzett: Rainer Weikusat, dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Packaging
On 10/08/15 21:49, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> "T.J. Duchene" <t.j.duchene@???> writes:
>> On Monday, August 10, 2015 08:15:20 AM Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Debian claims to support "43,000 packages" of easily installable
>>> software. This confuses some people into believing the only possible
>>> way to build a usuable system based on Debian but with making some
>>> different policy descisions MUST be to start with creating 43,000
>>> forked packages which all have to be modified manually.
>>
>> I am entirely uncertain of what you are talking about. In fact, I think that
>> Devuan should support a functional subset simply to reduce workload.
>
> That's based on the exact same premature assumption. But most of these
> "43,000 packages" will be of little interest to anyone but the people
> who packaged them and it will be possible to use them with at most
> trivial changes (such as dropping 'political' dependencies). Further,
> there's no point even looking into this unless someone wants to use a
> certain package. This would then make said someone the natural candidate
> for performing whatever modifications (if any) might be necessary.

Having done some of the packaging work for Devuan, I think it's worth
pointing out:
a) Those 43,000 packages are built from around 15,000 sources (if that)
b) systemd currently touches a very small subset of these packages at
the moment probably in the 100's range, once you discount all the purely
systemd packages

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.