:: Re: [DNG] Devuan compared to AntiX
Top Pagina
Auteur: Robert Storey
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Devuan compared to AntiX
As (bad) luck would have it, I just received an email from Jesse Smith (who
writes the DistroWatch Weekly Review) informing me that he already wrote a
review of antiX and it will be published this Monday. It would be too late
to withdraw it now, since that would leave him without a review for this
coming week.

That doesn't mean that I won't be writing a review of antiX eventually. But
it does mean it will have to wait at least a few months, since it wouldn't
do to publish two reviews of the same distro back-to-back on DistroWatch.
Of course, if antiX comes up with a new release, that would change matters.

All that said, I want to thank those who responded. I did pick up some good
tips, especially the one to use "updatedb" plus "locate" to track down any
systemd cruft. Don't know why I didn't think of that. On the other hand, it
is not clear to me though how much it matters when there are subdirectories
labeled /etc/systemd, /lib/systemd, and /var/lib/systemd. Running "dpkg
--get-selections grep systemd" shows nothing on antiX. The developer,
anticapitalista, says that systemd-shim is not installed on antiX. That
leads me to another question: what exactly does systemd-shim do? Is it just
a package to trick other packages with dependencies on systemd, without
actually installing systemd? I don't really know, but it's something I need
to explore if I want to write intelligently about this subject.

My next review will probably be about Void Linux. Jesse wrote a very brief
review of Void a few months ago, in which he basically said it didn't run
on his machine, so he dismissed it as "not ready." That was actually a
piss-poor review. I'm particularly interested in Void since there is a
version that runs on the Raspberry Pi 2. The main OS for the Raspberry Pi
is Raspbian, which is essentially Debian, now infected with systemd. Since
I'm a fan of the Raspberry Pi, I definitely want to see another distro
available for it that is systemd-free. There is also FreeBSD for the Pi,
though I understand it is very much a work in progress, but I'm interested
in anything not systemd so I'll keep it on the back burner.

Other suggestions for non-systemd software are welcome. The main criteria
is that it actually has to be something useful, something that I might
install and use daily. Thus, far-out stuff like Minix is not a
consideration, even if it's fun to play with.

cheers,
Robert