:: Re: [DNG] Init scripts in packages
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rainer Weikusat
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Init scripts in packages
Laurent Bercot <ska-devel@???> writes:
> On 06/08/2015 20:18, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> UNIX(*) and therefore, Linux, provides two system calls named fork and
>> exec which can be used to create a new process while inheriting certain
>> parts of the existing environment and to execute a new program in an
>> existing process, keeping most of the environment. This implies that it
>> is possible to write a program which performs a particular 'environment
>> setup task' and then executes another program in the change
>> environment.

[...]

>> And that's finally the jboss start script. I have some more tools of
>> this kind because whenever I need a new, generic process management task
>> to be performed, I write a new program doing that which can be used in
>> concert with the existing ones.
>
> What you are saying is that your approach is exactly the same as the
> one found here:
> http://skarnet.org/software/execline/

No, it's not. This is an interpreter for another programming language
sharing some concepts with the Thompson-shell. What I was describing
were additions to an existing scripting environment in order to help
with 'process/ services management'.

I'm going to ignore the remainder of this because - while system startup
is a topic of some interest to me - people warring over the right way to
replace UNIX(*) because it's broken isn't.