:: Re: [DNG] Init scripts in packages
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Steve Litt
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Init scripts in packages
On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 15:00:20 +0100
Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:

> 'Winning' against systemd will require getting support of a
> commerically more potent company than RedHat and SuSE combined and one
> willing to sink a sizable amount of money into the task.

The day I believe the preceding sentence will be the day I switch to
Mac (because presumably BSD will have been kidnapped by a moneybags
corporation too).

If having a sane init (and sane software architecture in general)
requires big money corporate sponsorship, and we get one and overthrow
systemd, how long before OUR daddy warbucks does something horrible in
order to FUD and EEE away the competition?

We're in much the same situation as 1995, when Microsoft was getting a
little obnoxious but wasn't quite bad enough to trigger a mass exodus
to Linux. By 1999, no-money, no corporation Linux was experiencing huge
inward migration on the server, and a noticible inward migration on the
desktop. Back then, Redhat was just another distro vendor, and indeed,
one of the goodguys.

History tells me it can be done without money.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21