:: Re: [DNG] Init scripts in packages
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: tilt!
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Init scripts in packages
On 08/06/2015 11:28 AM, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> [...]
> But a bare-bones init script does really only three things:
>
> 1. Execute a command to start something.
> 2. Execute a command which stops it again.
> 3. Execute 2) then 1) for a restart.

There are additional actions required by [LSB]; out of these
I appreciate a "status" action the most - the use of the others
is debatable if not questionable, but "status" I find really
important.

This is usually where init scripts get ugly and try to work
around missing commandline interfaces of the services they
attempt to manage. As soon a /bin/sleep command appears, it's
FUBAR.

Thing is, init scripts tend to have problems managing services
that do not offer sufficient commandline interfaces as described
above; what does SystemD do to address this problem?

Regards,
T.

Links:
[LSB] Linux Standard Base Core Specification 3.1.
20.2. Init Script Actions.