:: Re: [DNG] automount, mount, and USB…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Isaac Dunham
À: Rainer Weikusat
CC: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] automount, mount, and USB sticks
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 10:47:29AM +0100, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

> A daemon process should only exist because it provides some important
> functionality with a real benefit for users of the system which cannot
> (reasonably) be provided in some other way, eg, by starting a program to
> perform a certain task on demand. Eg, there should be no daemon running
> permanently to monitor device creation events which never happen in
> order to create device nodes for hardware which was detected on boot and
> won't go away while the system is up. And it also shouldn't be running
> because every other millenium (as seen from the perspective of the
> computer), someone changes the configuration of the USB(-lan): This can
> perfectly well be handled with on-demand execution (and hadn't udev
> eaten hotplug, I certainly wouldn't be running it).

You could try mdev if you don't like udev.
Devuan/Debian packaging is available at
github.com/idunham/mdev
git.devuan.org/idunham/mdev

(builds with dpkg-buildpackage -b, no debs available yet though I'll
switch them on as soon as I find out how...)

Some warnings, though:
* I'd suggest trying it out on a test install before your main system,
for the present. If you like living dangerously and have a *plain*
disk layout (no RAID, encryption), perhapps you might get away with
dropping it in your main install.

* Right now, you'll need to manually configure xorg.conf or at least
disable input device hotplugging. Piotr Karbowski has some configuration
files to take care of that in the xorg.conf.d/ directory of
https://github.com/slashbeast/mdev-like-a-boss

* That package has no hooks to handle LVM, encrypted partitions, or
anything else odd; if you need those, you'll have to poke around and
see what you can find (mdev-like-a-boss repo suggested as a starting
point).

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham