:: Re: [DNG] automount, mount, and USB…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Laurent Bercot
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] automount, mount, and USB sticks
On 29/07/2015 19:44, Jaromil wrote:
> IMHO the bigger barrier to this is not having
> a string parsing code (or basic grammar)
> that is security oriented, I mean hardened
> to run as root and handle corner cases

The tool I linked does no parsing at all. The user gives the end
of the command line she wants to run, but the start of the command
line is fixed at daemon start time. One daemon per start of
command line; you can have hundreds of those if needed, because
each instance uses very little memory (max 2 pages of private dirty
stack, no heap).

> most code out there has too many features
> and is too ambitions to fulfill such a simple task

I have a lot of tools that fulfill simple tasks, specifically made
to address these kinds of problems. When you're done with your
priorities - releasing Devuan 1.0 -, let's talk.

> I think I speak for most people here when I say we dislike
> the quantity of undocumented daemons running
> on on gnu/Linux desktop nowadays and
> I hope we can trim that down with Devuan

The real sticking point in what you just wrote is "undocumented".
I think most people wouldn't mind a pandemonium on their machine IF
they knew exactly what daemon is doing what, how many resources a
daemon consumes, and how to disable the ones they don't need.

--
Laurent