:: Re: [DNG] automount, mount, and USB…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] automount, mount, and USB sticks
On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 08:18:33 +0100
kpb <kpb@???> wrote:

> and being able to add *GUI initiated* mount/unmount (say by clicking
> on a volume name in the file manager) would be a real advance over
> pmount in a terminal window.

The preceding is a matter of opinion and dependent on one's philosophy.
I'd say performing an action on the command line is a real advance over
doing it in a gui:

* You can do it without X running.

* You can do it over no-X ssh.

* It's simpler.

* You don't lose access to it if you change window managers or file
managers.

* You can put it in shellscripts.

* You can *always* put a button or window in a GUI somewhere that calls
the command with the right parameters, but it's very difficult to go
the other direction.

The preceding points are relevant not only for mounting, but for pretty
much anything. Do you view the OS as commands, and the GUI as a layer
over that OS, or do you view the OS as a GUI?

I think Devuan needs to decide on this philosophical question, because
it completely determines how things are coded.

Just speaking for myself, I'd feel better if, to the extent possible,
every GUI action is mapped through commands capable of being run on the
command line.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21