:: Re: [DNG] automount Was: Re: A bet…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] automount Was: Re: A better default windows manager
On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:10:29 +0200
Svante Signell <svante.signell@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-07-26 at 23:17 -0500, T.J. Duchene wrote:
> > That's a very gracious offer, Steve, and I'm sure it will be greatly
> > appreciated. =)
> >
> > If I might say so, I HATE automount. Click to mount is fine, but
> > automounting peripheral drives like jump drives, CDs and whatnot is
> > an inexcusable security risk, in my opinion, even under a UNIX.
>
> Couldn't agree more!
>
> > Mounting should be restricted to only the most experienced users,
> > never embedded in the software so every user can across the board.
> > The default setup on too many Linux machines reminds me of Windows.
>
> Too sad to see this on GNU/Linux :(

Cheer up Svante. This isn't for your corporation's web servers, it's
for the guy with a desktop, the system's only user, a guy who already
has root but just doesn't want to do su all the time, who just wants
automounting to happen.

There are a million different use cases, and on some of them
automounting makes sense. Other times, running a command as a normal
user makes more sense. Other times, only someone with root should be
mounting.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21