:: Re: [DNG] automount Was: Re: A bett…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Robert Storey
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] automount Was: Re: A better default windows manager
> > On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:18 PM, Steve Litt
> > <slitt@???> wrote:
> >         You can roll your own automount with one day's work using
> >         inotify-wait, dmesg, sudo, lsblk, and the mount command.
> >         Works without X or window manager. Heck, I'll do it myself
> >         if more than 20 people want it.

> Count me in, now we are three wanting it, including yourself.

Well, I definitely want it. Not sure if I'm counted in the original three,
or if I make four.

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2015, Svante Signell wrote:
>> On Sun, 2015-07-26 at 23:17 -0500, T.J. Duchene wrote:
>> > If I might say so, I HATE automount. Click to mount is fine, but
>> > automounting peripheral drives like jump drives, CDs and whatnot is an
>> > inexcusable security risk, in my opinion, even under a UNIX.

No one is more paranoid when it comes to security than me. But as for the
security risk of automount, I only see it as a problem if we are talking
about a multi-user system in an organization. A single user at home is a
likely scenario for many of us.

Ideally, automount is something that a user should be able to easily
configure. If you'd rather have click-to-mount or fully manual mount,
that's fine. I don't see why it should be any more difficult than editing a
text configuration file (or clicking a box in a gui) to change the setting.

cheers,
Robert