:: Re: [DNG] A better default windows …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] A better default windows manager
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 09:43:26 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 12:21:14PM +0200, Jaromil wrote:

> I personally don't see way we should have CDE as a default in Devuan,
> given that the large majority of users would surely prefer something
> *usable* instead than a DE that was conceived 25 years ago and has not
> moved forward that much since then...

[snip]

> I agree on keeping an eye on GNUStep but, despite I am a WMaker user,
> I wouldn't recommend it as a default in Devuan either.

I thought we'd decided on Xfce, and I'd thought that we managed to
de-xxxxxxx-ize Xfce. Everyone (except me) likes Xfce, why not use it?
It's trivial to use, even for somebody who's never seen it before.
It's the Nano of the Window Manger/Desktop Environment world. You
might not like it, but you can use it long enough to switch over to
something else. It's somewhat reasonable about the resources it uses.

As far as Windowmaker and Gnustep, if you can get those to serve you in
any kind of productive way, you're a better man than I. I find Unity
easier to use than those two. Speaking of Unity, Unity proved how many
users a distro could blow off just because of its *default and
changeable* desktop environment choice. Nobody ever got fired for
buying Xfce: I'd stick with the plan.

By the way, if somehow in the future Xfce becomes so systemd entangled
that we can't use it anymore, we could *at that time and in those
circumstances* switch to LXDE, which from the user perspective is a
more stable and lighter Xfce that lacks the ability to have multiple
panels.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21