:: Re: [DNG] OT: some ancient programm…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: T.J. Duchene
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] OT: some ancient programming language history

On 07/26/2015 11:08 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> I also had a long discussion with some of the guys in charge of the
> ADA project -- they really wanted the security that comes from
> completely automatic storage management but they couldn't afford to
> have their weapons systems stop for garbage collection,
>
> I told them exactly what the trade-offs were -- too what extent they
> could have their cake and eat it too. In the end they decided that
> they could afford neither the language complexity of the
> garbage-collector-free storage management schemes, nor the garbage
> collection delays. I'm not sure to what extent they ended up avoiding
> dynamically allocated storage in the first official language
> definition.

ADA! I remember that! I've not used it in the better part of 20
years. Nicely designed language for its time - and very strict. Having
learned C in advance of ADA, I never liked its Pascal style operators.

Too bad the only one who really uses it in the US is the government.

I think you can find the answer to your memory comment here, Hendrik.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(programming_language)

T.J.