著者: KatolaZ
To: Jaromil
CC: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] A better default windows manager
On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 12:21:14PM +0200, Jaromil wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 2015, T.J. Duchene wrote:
>
> > >Not really, it wasn't a 'favorite' because it was not free.
> > I'm just saying that actual CDE use was rather a niche. Most used
> > something else "back in the day."
>
> didn't it ship by default with Sun and SGI machines?

CDE was the default not only in SunOS and Irix but, for quite a few
years, also in AIX, HP-UX, Digital UNIX, Tru-64 UNIX and many other
Unix flavours adopted it after its release. At that time being nonfree
was not a problem (I refer to Motif), since the Unix world was made by
proprietary systems which already costed a lot.

I personally don't see way we should have CDE as a default in Devuan,
given that the large majority of users would surely prefer something
*usable* instead than a DE that was conceived 25 years ago and has not
moved forward that much since then...

> I remember using it
> as well something else perhaps, but very similar on Irix
>
> but well, I did switch to Afterstep as soon as it came out
>
> and recommend to keep an eye on GNUStep, slow but steady...

I agree on keeping an eye on GNUStep but, despite I am a WMaker user,
I wouldn't recommend it as a default in Devuan either.

HND

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]