:: Re: [DNG] GTK (was Will there be a …
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: T.J. Duchene
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Hendrik Boom
Kopio: dng@lists.dyne.org
Aihe: Re: [DNG] GTK (was Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?)
Oh I agree Henrik, but like all things, there is a time and place for it.
It is a good principle to keep in mind even when you break it when
designing a language because it avoids "feature creep" which is something
that has become far too prevalent in software, especially today. I
consider OOP to be the worst example of feature creep.

I'm not all for or against OOP, but I do not think that it should be the
solution automatically pulled out in the majority of cases. While I agree
that some of the principles of OOP are worth having, I just think that it
is prudent to question the value of the rest, especially now that battery
life is a concern. I often ask myself if you can really do an really do an
algorithmic N-operations analysis anymore, and when dealing with OOP I
don't even bother to try. I fully expect to waste 30% (perhaps more) of
execution time on overhead compared to procedural programming. At that
point, anyone wanting efficiency really starts questioning the value of OOP.