:: Re: [DNG] A better default windows …
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: T.J. Duchene
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] A better default windows manager

On 7/24/2015 8:02 PM, Marlon Nunes wrote:
> On 2015-07-24 21:17, T.J. Duchene wrote:
>> CDE is basically dead, and in my opinion should remain dead. While I
>> can share your enthusiasm for older DE's, CDE was never a favorite of
>> anyone except corporate. Everyone else was using FVWM, Andrew, or
>> OpenLook.
>
> Not really, it wasn't a 'favorite' because it was not free.

I'm just saying that actual CDE use was rather a niche. Most used
something else "back in the day."

> I'm sorry, but i don't trust wayland devels as i don't trust systemd
> developers. To me
> it clear that wayland IS another red hat project.

That is like saying because Microsoft and the NSA contributed code to
the Linux kernel that you don't want trust the kernel. I don't see what
difference that makes. You can get the source code and review it yourself.

Setting that aside for a moment, X11 is a network protocol, not a
display system, and seldom used in today's world. Which means that the
core of Xorg/X11 is something that most people do not even use. Passing
all of that local data back and forth even though it never leaves your
computer is terribly wasteful, not only on your battery life and
electric bill, but on the speed of your machine and the amount of memory
required. Xorg/X11 itself does not have a clue what to do with modern
hardware. Even just using your OpenGL capable graphics card through DRI
means that Xorg/X11 has to pass a context to a window to the Linux
kernel, ask the kernel to do everything for that specific window, and
when the kernel is finished drawing a single frame, swap memory buffers,
and then finally display that one single frame before repeating this
process over and over again.

This approach is hugely inefficient, in more ways than I care to think
about, especially when your hardware is designed for direct access.

> Using CDE/Motif doesn't exclude other options. And yes, we could keep,
> maintain and
> Improve Xorg.

Obviously, you have never looked at the codebase for Xorg/X11. =) I
mean that with all kindness and not a trace of sarcasm. The Xorg/X11
code so convoluted that even the Xorg devs who have worked on it for a
decade can't fix or modify its core without severe breakage which would
make things incompatible.

Take care!
T.J.