:: Re: [DNG] The figure of commits beh…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Jude Nelson
Aan: Anto
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] The figure of commits behind the upstream on github
Hi Anto,

[snip]

> does anybody have any suggestion how to easily find out that our fork
> repositories need updating without keep checking the upstream repositories?

You're going to have to pull changes upstream periodically. That's just
the way git is designed--if you're not hosting the repository that the
original project developers push to, then you're by definition going to be
pulling from their repository.

However, from your description, it sounds like you could make your workflow
a little bit easier:
1. fork the original repository
2. add the original repository as a remote for pulls (i.e. git add remote
...)
3. make your changes and push them to your forked repository
4. pull from the original repository (i.e. git pull <name of original
remote>)
5. resolve merge conflicts
6. repeat steps 3-6 periodically

If your changes are unlikely to be in conflict by pushes to the original,
you might consider creating a cron job to periodically run steps 3 through
6 for you, and have it email you when there are merge conflicts (step 5)
that can't be automatically resolved.

HTH,
Jude