:: Re: [DNG] Interesting comment from …
Top Pagina
Auteur: T.J. Duchene
Aan: 'Michelle Konzack', dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Interesting comment from a kernel developer

From: Dng [mailto:dng-bounces@lists.dyne.org] On Behalf Of Michelle Konzack
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 11:55 PM
To: dng@???

Hello *,

What is this about 'baroque init scripts' and wanting to have only ONE option? Rather prescient in light of where we are now . . .

This mean, Debian has droped anything and now users AND developers have to bother with crappy "systemd".
Some days ago I have updated an Etch system release by release to Jessie and now, nothing is working anymore! Have killed Jessie and installed in the Last two days a new Wheeze MiniITX machine and now anything is working as expected.
I will do anything to get rid of "systemd"!!! It is a nightmare!

--
Michelle Konzack
GNU/Linux Developer

[T.J. Duchene]
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Michelle. =(

Yes, Debian has adopted systemd. As a quick fix, you can stick with Wheezy; or you can install Jessie and then install systemd-shim and sysvinit. After you install systemd-shim and sysvinit, Jessie should work more or less as expected. If I might say so, your problems may have stemmed from trying to jump from Etch to Jessie, skipping Wheezy. Skipping versions is something that you should never do with in-place upgrades. While you technically CAN do it, you probably shouldn't. It causes all kinds of errors because Debian (or anyone else) seldom tests the procedure. The configuration files held from the older install can cause startup failures that do not necessarily have anything to do with systemd.

Best luck and wishes!
T.J.