:: Re: [DNG] Jeep Cherokee hacked
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: T.J. Duchene
À: 'Brad Campbell', dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Jeep Cherokee hacked

> They are achieving it via an on-line firmware update and downloading a
> completely new firmware to the entertainment unit. OS is irrelevant.

[T.J. Duchene]
I mean no offense, but that statement should really be qualified. Actually the OS is not irrelevant, depending on the configuration of the firmware.

The firmware might be just a storage device. I've used embedded Linux as firmware before. Call it firmware or software, it is actually the same thing in the end. The confusion comes from the fact that "firmware" can be anything from an embedded OS - most likely these days - or something as a PLA (programmable logic array) hardwired with a specific set of Boolean equations.

So yes, the question of OS is very relevant.

Critical control systems should never be interlinked with Internet access, and the firmware used should be read only. This is a major embarrassment.

T.J.