:: Re: [DNG] systemd in the era of hot…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Laurent Bercot
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] systemd in the era of hotplugable devices
On 22/07/2015 16:24, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> In general, I'd agree with you, but there are some situations where it's
> possible to argue for hotplugger/service manager integration:
> if you hotplug a scanner or printer, there's reason to think that the
> corresponding daemon (sane/cups/lprng/lpr) should start.

Oh, yes, integrating the hotplugger and the service manager is a good
idea. But it does not have to be performed as intimately as systemd does.
It's possible for a hotplug manager to spawn a script for certain events
and have those scripts make calls to the service manager. The scripts
can even be changed depending on the service manager you have, without
changing the hotplugger.

That kind of modularity is a major strength of Unix, and is one of the
things that systemd is disregarding, either out of incompetence (can't
design Unix software) or out of malice (actively tries to get integrated
with every aspect of the system).

> None of these are actually 100% reliable, since you have a service
> starting upon some request; if there isn't enough RAM, it falls flat.

It's the case with every service manager, and everything you start
on-demand. systemd or not, integration or not, you'll have that problem
anyway.

--
Laurent