:: [DNG] sysvinit vs sysvinit-core
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Anto
À: Dng
Sujet: [DNG] sysvinit vs sysvinit-core
Hello everybody,

When I tried to upgrade the packages on my PC to the ones from Devuan
jessie repository just now, the following ones got held back due to my
pinning preference.

root@hp8530w:~# dpkg --list accountsservice acpi-fakekey initscripts
libaccountsservice0 sysvinit sysvinit-utils util-linux

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name Version                   Architecture              Description
+++-=========================================-=========================-=========================-========================================================================================
ii  accountsservice 0.6.21-8                  amd64
query and manipulate user account information
ii  acpi-fakekey 0.140-5+deb7u3            amd64
tool to generate fake key events
ii  initscripts 2.88dsf-41+deb7u1         amd64
scripts for initializing and shutting down the system
ii  libaccountsservice0 0.6.21-8
amd64                     query and manipulate user account information
- shared libraries
ii  sysvinit 2.88dsf-41+deb7u1         amd64
System-V-like init utilities
ii  sysvinit-utils 2.88dsf-41+deb7u1         amd64
System-V-like utilities
ii  util-linux 2.25.2-4.1+devuan1        amd64
Miscellaneous system utilities
root@hp8530w:~#

As above, I am still using sysvinit from Debian wheezy. And I held
util-linux to the above version. As far as I remember, I got problems
using util-linux higher than that version. I forgot the exact the problems.

What I am wondering is that, why Devuan is using sysvinit-core instead
of sysvinit? Could we not just bring forward sysvinit from Debian wheezy
for Devuan jessie? As far as I understood, sysvinit-core was introduced
as the workaround to use SysV init in Debian jessie instead of the
default init (which name should not be mentioned). If my understanding
is wrong, is that because of the changes on util-linux? If not, what are
technical reasons behind that, a part from staying very close to Debian
jessie?

Cheers,

Anto