Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] dng@lists.dyne.org
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:56:00 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 09:27:05AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:19:59 +0100
> > KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> > That wasn't what I was saying at all. I think something got lost in
> > the top-posting.
> >
> > All I said was that individual users could, if they'd like, alt-init
> > their Devuan machines. And I also later said that if we alt-initters
> > made good notes, then if and when Devuan decided to switch to a
> > different init (*one* different init), they'd have a path to follow.
> >
> > I said nothing about who would make/maintain init scripts, run
> > scripts, Epoch config files, etc. That's a question for much, much
> > later.
>
> You're arguing for setting up the framework that makes it possible,
> rather than to do the heavy lifting. It would also provide those who
> want to make various package-maintainers a path to follow to make
> their packages suitable for multiple inits, in case they whould
> choose to do so.

I'm suggesting two things: One now, one when the time comes.

Now: Keep things exactly how they are. Users like me will alt-init,
creating our own run scripts or epoch.conf sections. Perhaps Devuan
could very unofficially facilitate a place where we could put our run
scripts and epoch.conf sections so others could follow in our footsteps.

Later: The day may, or might not come, when Devuan decides to switch
their default init to something other than sysvinit. At that time,
obviously, the users would need to be presented, via the package
manager, with full and working run scripts or epoch.conf sections for
their computer. I am not at the current time speculating on whether the
daemon authors will make these init provisions for their daemons, or
whether a central person or people, perhaps part of Devuan, will
maintain the bunch (and obviously do nothing else).

You ask whether daemon authors would choose to supply run scripts or
Epoch sections. I doubt it. We don't have Red Hat's money to make them
an offer they can't refuse. That being said, I'm pretty sure systemd
has a command to enumerate and order all process dependencies, which
would make it pretty easy for a person who does it all the time to make
run scripts or Epoch sections. Please remember that run scripts and
Epoch sections are *nowhere near* as complex as sysvinit and OpenRC
init scripts.

I hope I answered your question, but if not, by all means re-ask it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21