:: Re: [DNG] dng@lists.dyne.org
Top Pagina
Auteur: T.J. Duchene
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] dng@lists.dyne.org
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:45:49 -0700
James Powell <james4591@???> wrote:

> If the goal of Devuan is Debian sans-systemd, then no changes other
> than rebuilding packages to exclude systemd support is needed.

If I might say so, I think that Devuan's short-term goal should be to
get a release out as soon as possible, as close to Debian Jesse as
possible.

After that, I think that Devuan should focus on what would be needed to
provide user choice for the next release. This is just my opinion, but
I think that Devuan should pursue the goal that Ian Jackson left Debian
over: making sure that the user can use whatever init they choose: be
it System V, OpenRC or Systemd.

In order to do that, I suspect a new practice for packaging will be
needed, where daemons are packaged for each, and then chosen via a
meta-package checking which you have; or where the startup scripts are
packaged separately for each and then selected automatically to be
installed with the binary, depending on what is installed on the
system.

It is possible that if Devuan succeeded in doing that, and proved to
Debian that it could work; Debian might follow suit.

I see no reason why Devuan has to do the same as Debian: one
way or nothing.