:: [DNG] Devuan without salt
Pàgina inicial
Autor: hellekin
A: dng
Assumpte: [DNG] Devuan without salt
Following the discussion on defaults and a couple of recent remarks from
Jaromil regarding audio ("for professionals") and Franco's opinion to
ignore new users and "focus on intermediate users", I'd like to make a
point: if Devuan is supposed to incarnate the legacy of Debian (as is
mentioned in the wiki: "We consider ourselves the actual Debian legacy."
[0]), there's a simple truth that should be crystal clear to anyone on
this list (pardon the pun):

IT'S VERY EASY TO ADD SALT, BUT VERY HARD TO REMOVE IT.

Moreover, if Devuan delivers a base distro that actually invites users
to personalize it and share their preferences (popcorn with foresight),
then users will understand that this distribution is actually about
their freedom, and not just in words.

The "user" is a deadly trap of an abstraction, and Devuan should simply
consider that the "user" ranges from a 3-year-old kid using a computer
for the first time without supervision to Donald Knuth, and provide a
simple system to accommodate both with minimal effort (I guess you got
my position by now: using devuan-sdk, 'seeds', tasks, blends, and a
public repository à la Mozilla addons...).

==
hk

Reductionism is the art of focusing on the forces that fit a model in
order to maximize the probability of an experimental result matching the
theory. Complexity begs to differ.

[0]: https://git.devuan.org/devuan/devuan-project/wikis/home

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/