:: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
Inizio della pagina
Autore: hellekin
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
On 07/15/2015 07:41 PM, Didier Kryn wrote:
> If the gurus use vim and dislike nano, since they are
> gurus, they can change the default themselves and leave the ordinary
> people with a limited but usable editor.

*** Totally agree: why put a burden on the profane when it takes two
seconds for any *NIX user to override the default editor?

When people open an editor, they want to type on the keyboard and see
their input reflected on the screen, not figure out why they can't. Vi
does not offer this by default, and I don't know if it can start in
INSERT mode.

Note that "vi -y", the "easy mode" seems to automatically switch to
INSERT mode when you type, but then it doesn't understand ESC-: for
commands AND does not accept C-Z to suspend*, so it's actually harder to
use than normal vi... /o\

Maybe IF AND ONLY IF vim-tiny can be started in INSERT mode and suggests
the user how to save, exit, and get help, then it can work as a good
replacement for nano.

* BTW, I don't think nano supports suspend by default in the upstream
configuration. That could be a good change to make to the default nano
configuration ("set suspend"). Nothing more annoying than being unable
to suspend a process (also looking at you "vi -y").

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/