:: [DNG] Proposed editor change
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Vecchi argomenti: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
Oggetto: [DNG] Proposed editor change
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:29:26AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> [...]

It not just Unix newbies that have trouble with vi. It's anyone used
to a editor different from vi.

> I don't like using nano, and always install vim, followed by
> 'update-alternatives'. But I remember as a new user being frustrated
> that I couldn't follow a simple how-to because I didn't know how to use
> vi. When I discovered nano, it was a huge relief.

I don't like using nano either, and always install emacs. But I
imagine that to new user, emacs might also be extremely frustrating.
Having nano as default before I've had a chance to install anything
else is a huge relief.

> I don't mind defaulting to nano for the sake of new users, even if nano
> isn't what I want to use. I know how to change the defaults. A new
> user does not.

Exactly. Let's not force any editor with a steep learning curve
on the beginner. Is there another editor as easy to *start* using as nano?

And let's not try to impose a one-sided settlement on the vi vs emacs
cotroversy.

-- hendrik